Job Posting: Legislative Assistant – Ottawa
The office of Catherine McKenna, Member of Parliament for Ottawa Centre, is currently seeking a
qualified candidate to fill the role of Legislative Assistant. This is a full-time position.
This position is responsible for providing legislative and administrative support to the MP for
Ottawa Centre, primarily operating out of the Hill Office.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Establish and maintain a collaborative relationship with staff and volunteers at relevant
offices, including with other MPs and their staff
- Lead on drafting responses to constituent correspondence, including the resolution of
issues that fall outside traditional casework
- Refer issues to Ms. McKenna’s team at Infrastructure Canada as necessary
- Work with the MP team to assist in the development and implementation of local
priorities for Ottawa Centre
- Provide research and briefing material on local issues, including daily local media
- Staff MP at events and meetings as required
- Attend community events and meetings on behalf of the MP and the Constituency Office
- Monitor and triage inquiries and comments received by phone, through the general MP
email account, and by standard mail
- Track correspondence using CRM for office and MP briefing
- Manage interns and volunteers working out of the Hill Office: provide training and
support and oversee work
- Maintain a continuous level of organization at the Hill Office; work with the Director to
ensure the overall Constituency team stays on track on major files
- Provide general reception support in the Hill Office by phone and in-person
- Lead on material management and procurement at the Hill Office (includes IT, furniture
requisitions, office supplies, etc.)
- Book meeting rooms for various branches of the team as requested
- Arrange constituent visits to the Hill and liaise with visiting schools and groups
- Assist in research under the direction of the Director, Parliamentary Affairs
- Disseminate legislative and policy information to Community Office staff through
meetings and phone/email flags
- Degree in Political Science or a related discipline
- Oral and written proficiency in professional English and French
- Knowledge of Ottawa Centre, including key stakeholders, demographics, challenges and
opportunities in the riding
- Highly organized with strong administrative skills, attention to detail, and the ability to
- Thrives in a dynamic and challenging environment; able to manage multiple priorities
and meet deadlines under pressure
- Outstanding customer service and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrates strong analytical, problem-solving, and common-sense skills
- Able to work collaboratively in a team environment
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Proficient in MS Word, Excel, and Outlook
- Significant prior experience in the political field (Hill, Campaign, or Constituency Office)
- Full bilingualism in English and French, including the ability to copy-edit and translate
between the two languages
- Demonstrates confident and accurate redaction and editing skills
- Strong prior understanding of Canada’s parliamentary system and the operations of the
- Strong prior understanding of local issues in Ottawa Centre
Working Conditions: Full-time work in a busy environment, with evenings and weekends as
required. Must maintain a reasonably flexible schedule.
Reporting Structure: Legislative Assistant reports to the Constituency Office Director.
Salary: Compensation is dependent on qualifications and experience.
How to apply: Please send a cover letter and your CV to Monica Fathallah, Office Director, at
Catherine.McKenna.C1A@parl.gc.ca before 5pm on Wednesday, December 18. Please put
“Legislative Assistant Position” in the subject line.
While all interested individuals will be considered, only persons selected for an interview
will be contacted.