Today, as part of the Own Our Ottawa campaign, I am highlighting Envirocentre, an organization that focuses on helping people, businesses and communities become more sustainable and reduce their greenhouse gas emissions.
Tell me a little bit about your organization/initiative.
EnviroCentre is an environmental non-profit in Ottawa that works to bring environmental change to life. We focus on helping people, businesses and communities become more sustainable and reduce their greenhouse gas emissions.
EnviroCentre works in three main areas: home energy, business sustainability and community sustainability. We perform home energy audits and help homeowners make improvements that save them money, make them more comfortable and reduce emissions. Through Carbon 613, a target-based reduction program, EnviroCentre helps over 30 Ottawa businesses like Your Credit Union and Angela’s Bed & Breakfast reduce their emissions. And finally, EnviroCentre supports active transportation across the city of Ottawa, hosting commuter cycling workshops, running campaigns like Bike to Work Month, and supporting programs like Active and Safe Routes to School.
What do you do to #OwnOurOttawa?
Here are a few highlights of what we did to #OwnOurOttawa in 2017:
- Organized the biggest Bike to Work Month yet, despite the rainiest May on record! Over 2700 people and 150 teams cycled 342,360 kilometers to and from work (that’s 8.5 times around the Earth!).
- Celebrated Environment Week with the Living Lightly Event – a street party on Sparks Stree that saw 500 people connecting with 21 organizations to learn practical solutions to reducing their environmental impact.
- Introduced over 500 people to the benefits of driving electric at the Electric Vehicle Days.
- Finished our last year of the Sustain Your Community initiative, a three-year Trillium-funded initiative that supported grassroots solutions to sustainability challenges.
- Along with the Health Transportation Coalition, helped draft a Citizens Agenda on Transportation Equity at the Transportation Equity Summit.
- Launched the Carbon 613 Climate Quest to commit to reducing 50,000 tonnes of greenhouse gases in Ottawa by 2020.
- Gave a $29,000 donation to Shepherds of Good Hope to complete a lighting retrofit of their five buildings. By switching to LEDs, the energy consumption will be reduced by 224,727 kWh – this is equivalent to 11.24 tonnes of CO2 abated annually.
- As an authorized Program Delivery Agent, EnviroCentre worked with Union Gas and Enbridge customers across the province to deliver energy audits, make recommendations for energy efficient upgrades and installed insulation measures to more than 1,000 low-income families. This year, we performed over 1200 home energy audits across Ontario. Hear a testimonial from happy customers.
Why do you think it’s important to #OwnOurOttawa?
In order to fight climate change, reduce greenhouse gases and become a more sustainable city, all people must work together to affect change at every level. For EnviroCentre, #OwnOurOttawa means working across sectors, industries and communities to bring environmental change to life.
If someone wants to get involved or get more information, where can they go?
Find out about an event near you! Follow EnviroCentre on Twitter, Facebook and subscribe to our newsletter. Visit our website to learn all about our Home Energy programs and read our Winter Cycling Guide.