This week Minister Hussen announced our Government’s Multi-Year Immigration Level’s Plan. The three year plan will settle 980,000 new comers by 2020 and is the most ambitious and responsible in recent history.
Our Government believes that each and every newcomer helps to shape our country by creating divers and prosperous communities and helping to stimulate economic growth. This plan will benefit all Canadian in its advancement of innovation, culture, and our global economy.
Here are the highlights:
- Canada will gain 310,000 new permanent residents in 2018, growing to 330,000 in 2019, and 340,000 in 2020.
- This gradual increase will trend towards one percent of the total population by 2020.
- This plan will help off-set the economic impact of our aging population and declining fertility rate.
- This will create significant reductions to backlogs and much shorter wait times for sponsored spouses, children, parents, grandparents, and caregivers.
- This plan will also fulfill our commitment to offer protection to those in need.