Come and join our hard-working and dynamic team! The Office of the Hon. Catherine McKenna, Member of Parliament for Ottawa Centre, is currently seeking an energetic, creative and resourceful candidate to fill the full-time role of Director. While all interested individuals will be considered, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
PURPOSE: Working in a challenging, variable and fast-paced environment, the Director will oversee the operations and functioning of the Community and Hill Offices and will provide strategic advice on matters related to Ottawa Centre.
RESPONSIBILITIES: Under the ultimate direction of the MP, the Director will be responsible for working in a proactive, collaborative and strategic manner to lead the Community and Hill Offices, as follows:
- Overseeing overall advancement of Ottawa Centre priorities, including campaign commitments and emerging issues:
- establishing and tracking milestones for all priorities;
- managing related meetings, stakeholder relationships and correspondence;
- monitoring and managing local issues; and
- working with staff to develop and update key messages.
- Building and maintaining effective and collaborative relationships with interested groups, stakeholders, constituents, staff of elected officials at all levels of government, and staff in various Minister’s Offices.
- Perform Human Resources functions of both the Hill and Community Offices, including recruitment, salary guidelines and performance management.
- Provide guidance and advice to staff in several core areas:
- Parliamentary Affairs
- Stakeholder Relations / Events / Meetings
- Case Work
- Volunteer Coordination and Engagement
- Provide oversight of the Member’s budget.
- Providing regular updates to MP on activities and issues, through daily conference calls, weekly written reports and regular meetings as needed.
- Manage and implement special projects as outlined by the MP.
- Handling sensitive constituent issues (non-casework).
- Other duties as required.
LOCATION OF WORK: Community Office (107 Catherine St., Ottawa, ON, K2P 0P4) and Parliament Hill Office (433-C, Centre Block). Note that the position of Director is expected to split their time between the two offices and maintain a presence in both locations.
HOURS OF WORK: Full-time. Some evening and weekend work required.
REPORTS TO: Hon. Catherine McKenna, MP, Ottawa Centre
START DATE: Late August / early September 2017.
QUALIFICATIONS / COMPETENCIES:
- Undergraduate degree in public administration, political science, business, communications, or a related discipline. Master’s degree in relevant discipline would be an asset.
- Minimum of eight years of experience, in the public or not-for-profit sector, or experience as an entrepreneur.
- Knowledge of Ottawa Centre, including key stakeholders, communities, challenges and opportunities in the riding.
- Experience managing people and / or experience managing a budget.
- Demonstrates strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrates excellent written and verbal communications skills, and superior interpersonal skills.
- Thrives in a dynamic and challenging environment and is able to juggle multiple priorities and work well under pressure.
- Works well both independently and as part of a team.
- Consistently displays sound judgment.
- Solid understanding of the Federal Government decision-making process and the Parliamentary system.
- High-functioning proficiency or bilingualism (English and French) would be considered an asset.
Interested individuals should submit a CV and cover letter to catherine.mckenna.C1A@parl.gc.ca no later than July 19, 2017 with the subject line “Director Application”. Only individuals who have been selected for an interview will be contacted.