The Constituency Office of Catherine McKenna, Member of Parliament for Ottawa Centre, is currently seeking a qualified candidate to fill the role of Constituency Caseworker. This is a full-time 12 month contract position.
PURPOSE: This role is primarily responsible for management of issues related to working with constituents and relevant federal government departments to resolve constituency casework, including but not limited to OAS, CPP, EI, and CRA cases.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The primary job duties and responsibilities of this role are:
- Work on behalf of Ottawa Centre constituents in need of support from various government programs (Immigration, Student Loans, CRA, EI, OAS, CPP) on a case by case basis (casework) including detailed tracking of case files through contact database software.
- Assist in ensuring that the office is accessible to constituents through regular and consistent hours of operation, answering phone calls, e-mails and other correspondence.
- Deal with daily queries from members of the public by phone, email, or video and taking appropriate initial action to resolve, document or escalate their concerns or enquiries.
- Assist with outreach to community organizations and non-governmental organizations and individual constituents as directed
- Maintain an up-to-date knowledge of relevant guidelines/legislation as appropriate in dealing with casework matters.
- Undertaking research on relevant topics and compiling databases as required.
- Assist with other duties as assigned
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS:
Qualifications required to successfully perform the job:
- Two to four years post-secondary, Social Service Worker diploma, University degree with a concentration in Social Work, Psychology or Sociology.
- Familiarity with programs run by the federal government
- Proficiency in both official languages
- Empathy with others in difficult situations
- Excellent customer service and interpersonal skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Proficient in MS Word, Excel, and Outlook;
Asset qualifications include:
- Willingness to work some flexible hours, including occasional evenings and weekends
- Adaptive to new situations and a fast-paced environment
- Previous Constituency or Parliament Hill experience
- Network of social services contacts
- Ability to speak other languages
- Place of work: 107 Catherine Street. Ottawa, Ontario
- Occasional long hours and some weekends
- Fast-paced, busy environment
- Team environment
The Caseworker reports directly to the Ottawa Centre Constituency Director and the Member of Parliament as needed.
Interested individuals should submit a CV and cover letter in one document addressed to Zachary Dayler with the subject line “Caseworker.” Only individuals who have been selected for an interview will be contacted.