Community Office of Catherine McKenna, MP. Ottawa Centre
The Constituency Office of Catherine McKenna, Member of Parliament for Ottawa Centre, is currently seeking a qualified candidate to fill the full-time role of Constituency Communications Officer.
This position is primarily responsible for the daily, weekly, and monthly management of local communications, including social media, print media, and in-person event and logistical support.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Communications Officer will proactively lead the communications activities of the office, as follows:
- Assisting with development and monitoring of a communications strategy, including branding.
- Maintaining an active, responsive and timely Community Office presence on twitter and other social media platforms.
- Obtaining, editing and organizing photo and video footage of MP and community activities.
- Drafting content for community newspaper columns.
- Drafting content for Householder and other communications materials for constituents.
- Build and establishing relationships with local media outlets, and supporting media relations for the office, including drafting statements, news releases, key messages.
- Assist in event planning
- Assist in staffing meetings and events with the MP as required, including on evenings and weekends
- Other duties as required in the operation of the community office, including some support with office administration.
Qualification required to successfully perform in the job:
- University degree / College Certificate in communications, public relations, government relations, or a related field
- Two – five years working experience in event management, communications, or public affairs
- Strong ability in writing and speaking French
- Proficiency with Adobe Design Suit, Microsoft Office, Outlook, Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook
- Able to work independently and manage multiple projects at one time
- Able to create and execute a plan and meet strict deadlines
- Highly engaged with daily news and media
- Understanding of basic web editing and design
- Previous Constituency or Parliament Hill experience
- Network of related contacts
- Flexible hours required
- Changing work priorities daily
- Fast-paced, busy environment
- Team player, willing to help others
The Communications Officer reports directly to the Director of the Constituency
**All staff report directly to the Member of Parliament as requested**
Interested individuals should submit in one PDF document a CV and cover letter addressed to Zachary Dayler to catherine.mckenna.C1A@parl.gc.ca, with the subject line “Communications Officer”.
Only individuals who have been selected for an interview will be contacted.
DEADLINE: July 5, 2018