** Application period is now closed **
Community Office of Catherine McKenna, MP, Ottawa Centre
The Office of the Hon. Catherine McKenna, Member of Parliament for Ottawa Centre, is currently seeking a qualified candidate to fill the full-time role of Community Engagement and Outreach Assistant. While all interested individuals will be considered, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Working in a challenging, variable and fast-paced environment, the Community Engagement and Outreach Assistant will act as a front line representative of the MP in the Community Office, providing information, education and support to the constituents of Ottawa Centre on behalf of the MP.
Under the direction and guidance of the Director, Community Office, the position will proactively lead the community engagement and outreach activities of the office, including community outreach, event planning and organization, scheduling, coordinating internal/external communications, and assisting in the day-to-day general operations of the MP’s Community Office. Specific duties are anticipated as follows:
Community Engagement and Outreach (80%)
Contribute to Community Engagement and Outreach activities within the community office, including, but not limited to:
- Processing event invitations and meeting requests from constituents / organizations in the riding and prioritizing requests for Director`s review.
- Scheduling meetings and events for MP to attend in calendar.
- Entering invitation/events into CRM (as appropriate).
- Developing and maintaining community office stakeholder distribution lists.
- Developing and executing event plan for select Community Office led events.
- Developing scenario notes for each meeting and event attended by the MP.
- Ensuring preparations, sign-in, notes and follow-up from community events / meetings are completed.
- Coordinating with the Community Office’s Communications Assistant to ensure appropriate social media / communications products are developed and photos captured; ensures proper documentation of event and attendees; obtains permission of attendee’s to use photos for future publications or social media.
- Managing outreach volunteers (duties, time commitment, resources, on-site roles), as needed.
- Assists the Director of the Office in maintaining relationships with community organizations, associations, key stakeholders and residents.
- Represents Member at community events, social and business functions, stakeholder meetings (as required).
- Assists with organization of any special events with Ministers and the Prime Minister (as required).
- Assists Communications Assistant in staffing meetings and events with the MP (as required), including on some evenings and weekends.
Support to Director (20%)
- Provides assistance and support to Director on various items, including issues management, background research, following up on constituent requests, special projects, etc..
- Maintains general filing system on shared drive.
- Provides reception support, as needed, including greeting constituents in the office and answering telephones.
- Other duties as required
LOCATION OF WORK
107 Catherine St., Ottawa, ON, K2P 0P4
HOURS OF WORK
Full-time. Generally Mon-Fri, 9am-5pm, with some evening and weekend work.
Director of Community Office, with guidance from other staff members as needed.
- Degree or diploma in: political science, social sciences, or a related field;
- Bilingual French / English is essential;
- Knowledge of Ottawa Centre and key stakeholders;
- Highly organized with strong administrative skills and ability to multi-task;
- Excellent customer service and interpersonal skills;
- Self-starter who is adaptive to new situations;
- Works efficiently under pressure and in a fast-paced environment;
- Able to work collaboratively in a team environment;
- Strong written and verbal communication skills;
- Strong attention to detail;
- Proficient in MS Word, Excel, Outlook; and
- Good understanding of Canada’s Parliamentary system and the operations of the Federal Government.
Interested individuals should submit a CV and cover letter to catherine.mckenna.C1A@parl.gc.ca by Friday January 13, 2016 at 9:00 PM, with the subject line “Community Engagement and Outreach Assistant”. Only individuals who have been selected for an interview will be contacted.